Marketing Podcast with Brad Feld
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Brad Feld. Brad has been an early-stage investor and entrepreneur since 1987. Prior to co-founding Foundry, he co-founded Mobius Venture Capital and is also a co-founder of Techstars. He’s also an author of a number of books including — Startup Boards: A Field Guide to Building and Leading an Effective Board of Directors.
The first time many founders see the inside of a board room is when they step in to lead their board. But how do boards work? How should they be structured, managed, and leveraged so that startups can grow, avoid pitfalls, and get the best out of their boards? In this episode, author, investor, and entrepreneur, Brad Feld, shares his advice and guidance with CEOs, board members, investors, and anyone aspiring to serve on a board on what it takes to build and lead an effective board of directors.
Questions I ask Brad Feld:
- [1:31] Why did you create a second edition?
- [4:38] Could you talk a little bit about the research you’ve done on the evolution of boards?
- [6:52] What are the mistakes people tend to make when building a board?
- [10:38] What point do you tell someone they need a board?
- [12:15] Are there things that need to be in place if you’re a startup company before building a board?
- [13:45] If I’m asked to be on a board, what should be expected of me and vice versa, if I’m a founder, you know, what am I expecting a board member to ultimately contribute?
- [16:30] How important is it that board members like and respect each other?
- [18:46] Where can people find out more about startup boards and the work that you’re doing?
More About Brad Feld:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network and Semrush.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.
Everybody’s online, but are they finding your website? Grab the online spotlight and your customers’ attention with Semrush. From Content and SEO to ads and social media, Semrush is your one-stop-shop for online marketing. Build, manage, and measure campaigns —across all channels — faster and easier. Are you ready to take your business to the next level? Get seen. Get Semrush. Visit semrush.com/go to try it free for 7 days.