Before we reveal the complete list of the best Instagram reel editing app, let us give you some backstory. In late 2019, Instagram decided to give the increasingly popular bite-sized video format a try. The first Reels prototype was launched exclusively for Brazilian users under the name of Cenas (which means scene in Portuguese).
After the success of this beta testing phase, the platform was now confident enough to make its innovative in-house feature available across 50 countries. Even though Instagram had been somewhat mocked for becoming TikTok’s copycat, the initiative was a necessary one. Most social media users are indeed looking for a more sustainable version of stories while also still appreciating easily consumable materials. When we say ‘easy,’ we also understand it as ‘not requiring too much time.’
In short (pun intended), Instagram Reels is a functionality that allows you to create 15 to 60-second videos, preferably in vertical/portrait mode. The video length limit has been increased to 60 seconds quite recently. It’s certainly good news for those of you who may have longer footage projects in mind. Now, what about editing them?
Have you already found a reliable tool for retouching your videos, or are you still looking for one? Either way, our article will help you get an idea of the latest good plans and find the Reels editing app that suits you the most. We have selected a Top 5 among the currently popular tools. You will also find some foundational editing commands on Instagram in the second part of our article.
At the top of our best Instagram reel editing app list, we have InShot. Let us tell you right away that this one is among our personal favorites. Are you dreaming of pro-looking Instagram Reels on your feed but are afraid of lacking the necessary skills? One word or rather two words in one: InShot. This app may not look like much at first sight but rest assured that it has many great tricks up its sleeves.
- Flexible format management. With InShot, you are not restrained by the usually mandatory vertical format. Even if you want to upload horizontal videos, there won’t be any issues. The application will make it appear vertical by subtly surrounding it with bars. Thanks to the Canvas feature, you may also easily modify the ratio to the typically recommended 9:16 or else.
- Rich menu with numerous options. The app gives you the possibility to flip, rotate, split, and trim your videos just in a few clicks. Additionally, it lets you refine your visuals thanks to a set of effects, including frames, contrast, shadows, texture, colors, and blurring. You can even change the speed of your videos if you wish.
- Duplicate and delete. You can duplicate any of your favorite video sections. Similarly, you can discard those you don’t wish to include.
- Useful supplements. Make your videos more vivid and talkative by adding transitions, captions, and titles.
- In-app soundtrack builder. One of the greatest aspects of InShot is that it lets you add whatever sounds or music you want to your videos. And trust us, the process is ridiculously simple. All you have to do is import your audio or record one from scratch directly in the editor.
InShot is available both on Google Play Store and App Store.
Price: The main version is downloadable for free. There’s also a Pro version available for $3.99 per month or $14.99 per year (with a 3-day free trial).
At the second spot of our best Instagram reel editing app list, we have WeVideo.Here’s another one that you can easily use as an Instagram Reels editor. Regardless of which device you are on, WeVideo adapts itself to your video projects in no time. Some of its advantages include:
- Cloud storage. Even nowadays, some of the services using the cloud system happen to be defective at times. But with WeVideo, you don’t have to worry. The upload process is simple and secure enough to store your videos without any unpleasant surprises.
- Flexible synchronization. If you ever need to edit Reels somewhere other than your usual device, WeVideo comes to the rescue. It allows you to synchronize multiple devices so that you can keep working on your videos wherever you like.
- Impressively varied library. This is definitely a Reels editing app you can count on regarding originality and diversity of choice. The library comes with a copious amount of customizable elements, from logo components to text fonts, but also music and ready-to-use footage.
WeVideo is compatible with Android, Windows, iOS, and macOS.
At the third spot of our best Instagram reel editing app list, we have KineMaster.Make your Reels on Instagram level up with KineMaster. This ambitious yet handy tool has rapidly become a favorite for many social media users. Probably because it makes video editing much easier thanks to the following:
- Vast range of editing features. Don’t hesitate to play around with different versions of your versions and let your imagination speak freely. Every option in KineMaster has been designed in a way that guarantees optimal end results. You can modify and readjust your videos thanks to the splitting, trimming, and cutting functions. Take advantage of the developed color palette, various filters, and upscaling gadgets. Decorate your videos with stickers and customizable text fonts.
- Special effects. This is one of the fortes of KineMaster. There are many to choose from, either visual or sound effects. Let’s not forget the voiceover option that can be an excellent complement for your Reels.
- Motion picture mindset. No, this isn’t a pleonasm. KineMaster is truly a master when it comes to rendering your videos even more alive. You can apply different motion and animation configurations in order to modify the ‘rhythm’ of your Reels.
KineMaster is downloadable on Google Play Store and App Store.
Price: Free. However, it’s probably not the best Instagram Reels app to be used that way because it applies watermarks and is not ad-free. You may thus consider a premium subscription for $3.99 per month or $39.99 per year.
At the penultimate spot of our best Instagram reel editing app list, we have Splice. Well, this one is at the moment only for iOS devices but nonetheless worth mentioning as a quality reel editing app. Here’s an overview of what it offers:
- Customizable backgrounds. Even though this is something available in most apps nowadays, Splice backgrounds definitely transpire additional professionalism. They are also very natural-looking, so don’t be surprised if people can’t tell the difference when compared to untouched videos. Of course, the same goes for the filters.
- Voiceover. We are emphasizing it because, despite the appearances, not every editing app gives narration possibilities. As for Splice, the app ensures that you insert your voiceovers as smoothly as possible. Let’s add that you can also readjust the playback speed.
- Gigantic music library. Splice is generous enough to provide a huge collection of royalty-free music without any additional charge. There’s something likely to fit every taste since many genres are available,
Splice is compatible with iOS devices and on App Store.
At the last spot of our best Instagram reel editing app list, we have FilmoraGo. Here we have another reel editing app that knows how to combine simplicity and efficacy. FilmoraGo has already proven its user-friendly approach on a worldwide scale. Judge it for yourself:
- Enhanced essentials. Here again, you have the ideal toolbox containing everything you need to retouch your creations. Cutting, rotating, splitting, trimming… You decide. Meanwhile, you can be sure to get a good-looking final version.
- Multiple video screens option. Quite self-explanatory. FilmoraGo enables multi-tasking or, more precisely, multi-editing for those working on several projects at once.
- Huge selection of complementary features. That is, almost everything imaginable to compliment and accompany your videos. Text fonts, stickers, emojis, GIFs, and much more.
- Built-in musical resources. More than 1.000 royalty-free pieces of music to choose from.
How to Edit Reels on Instagram
So by now, you know what is Instagram Reels and you have maybe already made up your mind about your very personal best app to edit Reels. Good. Let’s get to the next step. In effect, one important question remains: How to edit Reels? At the same time, we should also ask what to edit. You see, the art of editing is above all about crafting captivating content for your coveted audience. And you can do that even by applying some of the basics given below.
These are literally life-savers that sort of make up your videos to render them more attractive.
- Open the Reels maker.
- You will see several filter options at the bottom of the screen. Just scroll left and right to explore them.
- If you tap on “Effects”, you will find additional filters and augmented reality effects. Click on the effect to try it.
- If you want to record with a filter, hold down the dedicated filter icon. You may also record hands-free by using the timer.
- When your video is ready, tap the “Preview” icon. This will lead you to the editing screen. Once you have your final edited version, tap “Next” and then you can share your reel.
Aka, the ultimate elements to shortly describe your videos or insert messages into them.
- Open the Reels maker.
- Proceed as usual for the recording phase. Once done, tap the arrow icon.
- On the top right corner of the editing screen, select ‘Aa’ to start adding text.
- Type a message for your video. You can make the changes you want by using the menu at the top of the screen. Note that fonts are at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are satisfied with the preview, tap ‘Done’ and then ‘Share To.’ If not, tap the text icon on the bottom left and make the modifications at your convenience.
Instagram Reels lets you combine different clips in order to obtain a sort of ‘collage.’ You can either record directly or use pre-recorded content.
- Open the editor.
- Select the effects, sounds, music, etc., that you wish to include. Click on the Record button with the Reels logo situated at the bottom.
- Repeat the previous selection and recording phases for every clip you want to include in your final video.
- To access pre-recorded videos, click “Edit Clips”. You can select specific segments of the video by dragging the sliders. Then tap ‘Add’ at the top right corner.
- If you need additional editing, tap the backward arrow.
- Add text and tap “Next”, then share. You can share your Instagram reel to Facebook as well.
Undoubtedly, that’s one of the best enhancers of any video material. Music can replace millions of words sometimes, right?
- To add music, start by going to Reels.
- Tap the music note icon located on the left side. Now you can select a song. This will lead you automatically back to the recording screen.
- You can choose to keep specific parts of the song. To do so, tap the thumbnail of the album cover on the left menu. Select the section you want to include in your Reel.
- Now, you can start recording by holding on to the Record button. This will also activate the music clip.
- Once ready, you can tap ‘Share To.’
- On the editing screen, you can adjust the volume and add complementary elements (such as text, stickers, etc.) if you wish.
- Once everything is ready, tap the arrow icon.
Functionality that we have already mentioned and decided to explain a little more. Because it can become a real game-changer in some contexts.
- Open the Reels maker.
- You will see a stopwatch icon on the left side. Tap on it.
- You can choose the length of your clip (from 5.2 seconds up to 30 seconds). To do so, just drag the dedicated slider.
- An alternative way is to tap a number next to the word ‘Countdown.’ This is how you will set the length of the pre-recording countdown (between 3 and 10 seconds).
- Once you are ready, select ‘Set Timer.’
- Tap the Record button at the bottom of the screen. You will see the countdown begin.
- At the end of the recording, tap the arrow icon and continue with the editing screen.
- Once the final version of the video is ready, tap ‘Share To.’
So is that all? Of course not. Instagram Reels is packed with several other editing possibilities. Some of them allow you to experiment with other people’s creations. That’s, for example, the whole purpose of the Remix feature. Imagine all the unprecedented things that you can do with it. You may even launch some collaborative projects if you manage to build longer-term relationships with those creators. After all, social media is grandly aimed at connecting people and supporting partnerships.
Or say, are you dissatisfied with the 60-second limit? Then you can go for timelapse Reels. These allow you to share longer processes by speeding them up a little.
And once again, let’s not omit voiceovers. Most people prefer watching videos that come with verbal/oral comments. Pretty understandable since some silent or music-only content can be cryptic sometimes. So whenever possible or at least appropriate, try to incorporate narration into your Reels. It doesn’t necessarily have to be your own voice. You can ask someone else to do the voiceovers or even use synthetic voices.
Start Creating Trendsetting Reels Right Now
We have given you the list of the best Instagram reel editing app list. As you can see in our article, this is way less complicated than it seems. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t studied advanced motion-picture photography or such. Just pick a reel editing app and entrust your videos to it. With only a few basic manipulations, you can obtain breathtaking results and gain more engagement on Instagram. Other than that, Reels is an entertaining way to unveil your artistic side. No matter what, we hope that you enjoy this modern-day cinematographic opportunity.