Marketing Podcast with Amanda Dixon
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Amanda Dixon. Amanda is the Co-founder at Barney an M&A firm that specializes in the digital marketing space. She’s also a Forbes 40 under 40 award recipient.
Selling your agency in the digital space can be a hard area to navigate. Amanda Dixon found it difficult to find an M&A advisor who understood that landscape when she went to sell her own business. Since 2015, her company, Barney, has guided over 150 media, marketing & tech companies through acquisitions. In this episode, she’s sharing how she’s helped many entrepreneurs buy and sell businesses.
Questions I ask Amanda Dixon:
- [1:14] What’s the story behind your company name?
- [1:57] Could you tell us about your origin story and how you got started down this path?
- [2:55] Is there anything unique to the digital agency space or the digital space in general when it comes to selling in comparison to a company with tangible assets like a roofing company for example?
- [3:54] If someone stumbles upon you and what you do, and they’re ready to sell their agency, what is the first step?
- [5:00] How do you put a tangible value on digital assets like a methodology or framework?
- [6:33] Is there a way to value future growth?
- [7:47] Is there a right time or right size or sweet spot for agencies?
- [10:25] Are you seeing anybody selling parts of their companies rather than an entire acquisition?
- [11:19] A very common model today is people are outsourcing a lot of the implementation fulfillment, does that make it actually harder to sell?
- [12:00] Could you talk a little bit about the consultant versus agency model – is that harder to sell?
- [14:12] Do you have a success story that you can share?
- [16:06] Does hiring an advisor also come with a team of legal and financial advisors? Or do you have to find that outside of an advisor?
- [17:49] Have you ever experienced a transaction where a Founder sold the company to their existing team?
- [18:35] Could you tell people where we could find you and your work?
More About Amanda Dixon:
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network and WorkBetterNow.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND