Whatever your goal is, learn how to create your own custom location on Instagram in a few simple steps.
How to Create a Custom Location on Instagram
- Check in on your Facebook app and create a post.
- Select ‘Check In.’
- Allow Facebook to use your location or select one on the map.
- On the search bar, type in the name of your new custom location and click on the + symbol at the bottom. Even if someone has already created a location with the same, you can still create your own.
- Add in your custom location name and location details then click ‘Save Custom Place.’
1. Check in on your Facebook app and create a post.
2. Select “Check In.”
3. Allow Facebook to use your location or select one on the map.
4. On the search bar, type in the name of your new custom location and click on the + symbol at the bottom. Even if someone has already created a location with the same, you can still create your own.
5. Add in your custom location name and location details, then click “Save Custom Place.”
6. Your new location is now available on Facebook and Instagram.
When you create a custom location, it automatically creates a business profile page. If you’re having trouble seeing your newly created location, here’s what may have happened:
- Your location is taking a few hours to show up on Instagram.
- Facebook does not recognize your new location as valid due to the limited details provided.
- You have not claimed your business profile page.
Can you create a location on Instagram without Facebook?
Currently, there is no way to create a new location on Instagram without relying on its parent app, Facebook. The only locations you can access are the ones already available on the app.
However, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. So many brands and individual users have done the hard part for you, creating fun and relevant custom names that you can use on your posts.
For instance, this brand used the “Coffee Time” location name to add to an image featuring various coffee beverages.
In this case, the location name serves as another signal of what the post is about and can create some more interest in your brand.
Some brands and users also use location tagging as another branding opportunity.
Take The Bearded Marketer.
He created a custom location name to add to his Instagram posts, which can help with brand recall.
How to Add Your Location to Your Instagram Story
Swipe left to post a Story and click on the emoji icon.
Search for the “Location” feature.
Search your location name or address.
Click on your location and place it where you want on your Story.
So whether you’re looking for a new way to connect with your audience or want to enhance your store’s discoverability, these tips will help you easily create a location on Instagram.
Originally published Feb 1, 2022 7:00:00 AM, updated February 01 2022