Marketing Podcast with Kindra Hall
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Kindra Hall. Kindra is President and Chief Storytelling Officer at Steller Collective, a consulting firm focused on the strategic application of storytelling to today’s communication challenges. Her Wall Street Journal best-selling book, Stories That Stick, was released by Harper Leadership in the fall of 2019, which Forbes said: “may be the most valuable business book you read”. Today, we’re talking about her most recent book: Choose Your Story, Change Your Life: Silence Your Inner Critic and Rewrite Your Life from the Inside Out.
Most of the “self-stories” you tell yourself—the kind of person you say you are and the things you are capable of—are invisible to you because they have become such a part of your everyday mental routine that you don’t even recognize they exist. Yet, these self-stories influence everything you do, everything you say, and everything you are.
In this episode, I talk with best-selling author, Kindra Hall, about how to take control of your self-story and uncover the clear steps you can take to create the life you want. You can choose your story and live your life in a way that you never have before.
Questions I Ask Kindra Hall:
- [3:28] I want to talk about a particular word in the title of your new book. You pick the word ‘Choose’. So what do you mean by ‘choose’ in ‘Choose Your Story’?
- [4:52] When people say things like, “You’re just in your head, and that’s why you’re stuck” – how different is deciding to choose your story?
- [5:38] If a lot of these thoughts are unconscious, how do you find them to begin with?
- [10:26] Can we talk about the term ‘self-storytelling’?
- [11:18] Is there a muscle that you create or work where you can begin to recognize these tendencies? Is that the eventual goal?
- [12:29] The book is in several parts – could you give us a glimpse into what we’re going to find in those three separate parts and how they go together?
- [16:16] Is the ultimate goal to have built up a series of stories, or what might seem to be affirmations that you tell yourself in certain situations that you need to believe or need to convince yourself of?
- [18:39] One of the stories I think a lot of us tell ourselves is that other people’s stories are crap. What impact do you think this could have on us being more accepting of other people’s stories?
- [20:07] All right. So now I’ve got my library built up. How do I install and activate these stories that I’ve rewritten?
- [22:06] Where they can find out more about your work and obviously get a copy of the book,
More About Kindra Hall:
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network and Wix.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.
Wix is the industry-leading eCommerce platform with a future-ready, customizable robust solution for merchants who mean business. Wix eCommerce is the complete solution for entrepreneurs, omnichannel retailers, and brands who wish to launch, run and scale their online stores successfully. Go to Wix.com/ecommerce today and join over 700,000 active stores selling worldwide with Wix eCommerce.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND