Marketing Podcast with John Jantsch and Douglas Burdett
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, we’re doing things a little differently. Douglas Burdett takes on the role of guest host and interviews me about my new book launching Sept. 21, 2021 — The Ultimate Marketing Engine: Five Steps to Ridiculously Consistent Growth. Douglas is the host of the Marketing Book Podcast where each week he interviews authors of best-selling marketing and sales books.
What is the Ultimate Marketing Engine? It is a successful customer. Almost every other marketing book (including a couple I’ve written) gets this idea terribly wrong.
My new book The Ultimate Marketing Engine details the evolution of my thinking around marketing over the last ten years and contains nothing but real-world ideas gathered from working with business owners and consultants every single day.
And in the book, I take you on a marketing journey. But we won’t travel the same old road you have been down before. Rather, I
plan to push you to think about marketing from an entirely new point of view that allows you to create ridiculously consistent growth.
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, Douglas Burdett takes on the role of guest host and digs into concepts from my new book starting with how this book is different from the many marketing books out there, viewing customers as members, moving away from the traditional marketing funnel, creating a customer success track, and so much more.
Questions Douglas Burdett asks John Jantsch:
- [5:41] Can you talk about the resources and the course and any other bonuses folks get along with The Ultimate Marketing Engine?
- [10:46] What new ground does The Ultimate Marketing Engine cover that makes it different from the other 350 other books that have been featured on the Marketing Book Podcast, for instance?
- [13:07] Let’s unpack one of the biggest concepts from the book which is this idea of viewing customers as members — and full disclosure this isn’t like a Costco membership or software as a service.
- [15:54] How does the marketing hourglass concept help a company to think differently than the traditional marketing funnel?
- [19:39] What is a customer success track, what could a company do to begin one, and can you sketch out what that customer success track would look like?
- [25:55] What does the top 20% actually mean? And is the issue that companies just want more customers or do they not think through who the top 20% of their customers are?
- [30:59] You cover referrals really heavily in the book. Can you talk about the importance of referrals having a referral system? And can you also tie that in with yet another new idea from your book about helping your customers build a whole ecosystem?
- [37:15] Explain what you mean when you say: “People don’t actually want what we’re selling.”
- [39:27] So towards the very end of the book, the very first line is: Is your website is the hub of your marketing engine? If it’s that important, why is it in chapter nine out of 10?
- [40:46] Tell people where they can get access to all of the resources from the book and the course.
More About The Ultimate Marketing Engine:
More About Douglas Burdett:
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND