Nowadays, Reddit is one of the most popular social media platforms, with millions of users from all over the world. User-generated content on the platform is sub-classified into different topics. These are’ subreddits.’ However, sometimes, you don’t want to see specific subreddits in your feed. You can ask, ‘How can I block unwanted subreddits?’ Don’t worry. In this guide, we are going to try to answer your question. When you want to block subreddits, the methods depend on which Reddit you are using. If you are using the old version, you can easily use the “filter subreddit” box on the page. On the other side, if you are using the newer version, it’s not that easy. You should upgrade your Reddit account to the Premium account or use third-party applications. Which way do you think is easier to use? Just keep on reading!
What Are Subreddits on Reddit?
Subreddits can basically be defined as categories or specific pages that allow people to focus on particular topics on the platform. You can find anything you are looking for, from sports and games to music and photographs.
How to Block a Specific Subreddit
As Reddit says, the platform is filled with interest-based communities. When you create a Reddit account, the platform asks you to choose communities by topics you are interested in. You will have many options at this point because there can be a subreddit about anything you can think of.
However, sometimes, some subreddits waste your valuable time. Don’t bother your pretty little head; we will help you.
In 2018, Reddit redesigned its appearance and many of its functions to provide a better user experience. Therefore, there are two different versions of Reddit on the web: Old and New Reddit. In this guide, we will try to give the solution for both websites. Let’s start with the easy one!
1) Blocking Specific Subreddits on Old Reddit
Time needed: 2 minutes.
There can be some subreddits you don’t want to see, but it is easy to block them. Here are the basic steps to do it.
- Go to the https://old.reddit.com/r/all/ page.
You will see a box labeled “filter subreddit” located on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Type the name of the subreddit you don’t want to see anymore.
Then, tap the ‘+’ button next to the box. That’s all.
Hint: Add the subreddit without /r/ to the filter box.
2) Blocking Specific Subreddits on New Reddit
Unfortunately, the newer version of Reddit doesn’t have any filter option. It makes it difficult to block subreddits. However, there are still several methods you can use to block a subreddit. Let’s start with Reddit Premium!
Reddit Premium is one of the most commonly used methods by Reddit users to block unwanted subreddits from their feeds.
- Click on your avatar on Reddit
- Choose the Premium options from the drop-down list.
- Purchase monthly or yearly premium subscriptions.
- Select your payment method. Your subscription automatically renews until you cancel
- After purchasing Reddit Premium, open the r/all page and start blocking unwanted subreddits with a hammer
Reddit Premium provides additional VIP features as well. Monthly Powerups, add-free browsing, and 1,000 coin bonuses (one-time-only welcome gift) are the most popular reasons to join the Reddit Premium memberships.
You can also upgrade your account to Reddit Premium on your mobile devices to block any subreddits.
- Tap on Reddit mobile app and log in to your Reddit Premium account on your mobile devices
- Tap on the ‘Menu’ part at the top left corner
- Under the Settings & Privacy part, you will see ‘Block Subreddits’
- Enter the subreddits you don’t want to see any longer. That’s all!
If you want to learn how to get Reddit Gold and a premium account, check out our related article.
If you don’t want to pay for Reddit Premium, you can use several browser extensions. In this case, one of the most commonly preferred ones is Reddit Enhancement Suite, or RES for short. It is available for Microsoft Edge, Apple’s Safari, Google Chrome, etc.
Here are the steps you should follow to block any unwanted subreddits by Chrome:
- First, you should add the Reddit Enhancement Suite extension from Chrome.
- Go to the https://www.reddit.com/ homepage
- Click on the puzzle piece at the right top-hand side. Then, click on the three-dot icon next to the RES extension.
- Select Options from the drop-down list. You will see RES Settings Console.
- On the left-hand side, click on filteReddit under the Subreddits title.
- At the top of the screen, toggle the filteReddit option on. Now, it’s time to customize your Subreddit settings.
- Scroll down the page until you see ‘Hide posts submitted to certain subreddits’ under the ‘Subreddits’ title. Here, click on ‘+add filter’
- You will see a box. Type the subreddit you don’t want to see any longer, and click on ‘+add filter’ again to add other unwanted subreddits. Done!
FAQs About How to Block Subreddits
It is straightforward. All you need to do is to check the URL at the top of your screen on Reddit. If you see something like www.reddit.com/r/<anything>, the ‘anything’ part is the subreddit. For example, ‘r/todayilearned,’ ‘r/news,’ or ‘r/pics’ are the most popular subreddits you can take a look at.
Yes, the subreddits you have blocked on old Reddit will also be blocked on the newer version. Don’t worry.
It is easy. On the homepage, there is the ‘my subreddits’ button. Just click on it. Or, you can directly go to https://www.reddit.com/subreddits/mine.
On the homepage, click on your profile icon and select ‘Visit Old Reddit’ from the drop-down list.
Yes, it is completely free and ready to use.
Blocking Subreddits in Short
Well, when you don’t want to see specific subreddits on Reddit, there are different ways to block them. That was the topic of our guide. Based on the old or new version of Reddit, the method will be different. On the older version of Reddit, it is simple to block subreddits. However, if you are using the new version, you will have two major options: Upgrading your account to Reddit Premium or using third-party applications. If you choose the second option, Reddit Enhancement Suite is the most commonly used extension you can prefer. It is completely free to use. That’s why if you don’t want to pay for Reddit Premium, the second option is for you. Still, the choice is yours!